Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Review: They Called Themselves the K.K.K.

They Called Themselves the K.K.K.: The Birth of an American Terrorist Group
By Susan Bartoletti Campbell, read by Dion Graham
Published 2010 by Brilliance Audio

I have been reading a lot more nonfiction lately as well as listening to audiobooks during my commute to work, so when I saw our library had a copy of this on audio, I checked it out and popped it into my CD player.

This book tells the story of how the Ku Klux Klan developed. It's a fascinating history and presented in an interesting way. We get to hear lots of first-person accounts, from Klan members as well as victims of the Klan's violence. It provides great depth to the story of the Klan's formation. I learned a lot of interesting facts about the Klan, including that they have the most bizarre naming system for official positions. I really enjoyed listening to Graham read the book - he has a great voice to listen to and he inserted character into all the right places. I think I might have missed something listening to the book, though - it would have been nice to attach faces to names and whatnot (at least I presume there are photographs in the print version). Still, a very informative and interesting listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment