Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Review: Judy Moody

Judy Moody (Judy Moody, book 1)
By Megan McDonald, illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds
Published 2002 by Candlewick Press

Judy Moody is about to start third grade and she is NOT looking forward to it. Everything will be different and she would rather that things stay the same. But Judy will learnt o express herself when a class project is assigned.

This is a series I've been meaning to read for a long time because it always looked so adorable. Plus, I will read pretty much anything illustrated by Peter Reynolds. I finally picked up the first one and found pretty much what I was expecting - this is a fun and sweet introductory chapter book that I think has wide appeal. The chapters are short and episodic - we get snatches of Judy's life but not a long flowing narrative. I think this works really well, especially for the intended audience. This is an excellent bridge series for those kids transitioning from early readers to chapter books. Plus, the humor will definitely appeal to kids. This is the first in the series and I hope to find time to read more!

No comments:

Post a Comment