Thursday, March 1, 2012

Review: The Moon Over High Street

The Moon Over High Street
By Natalie Babbitt
Expected publication: March 1, 2012

The latest from the beloved author of Tuck Everlasting, this novel tells the story of Joe Casimir, a young boy who lives with his grandmother. The summer of his eleventh year, she breaks a hip and Joe is sent to live with Aunt Myra (who's actually more like a cousin). A strange series of events begins to unfold when Joe arrives in Midville.

I don't really remember reading Tuck Everlasting and I'm almost certain that I've never read anything else by Babbitt, but I figured I'd give this one a go. It's a very small and unassuming book, but for me, this did not equal a quick read. I found this book to be kind of bland and not particularly entertaining. I don't think the characters were very well developed - Joe's particular interest in the moon seemed like a quirk and didn't really give me enough to connect with. A very strange thing happens when Joe arrives in Midville and stumbles upon Midville's resident millionaire and to me, this plot didn't make a whole lot of sense. There was a distinct lack of reasoning for what was unfolding. This book really did not grab my attention. I think it's supposed to be more of a story with a message than a story about these specific characters, but the message didn't really seem all that unique to me. I guess maybe I'm too far outside the intended audience to have enjoyed this. A disappointment.

Thanks to the publisher for an advance reader's copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment