Saturday, June 16, 2012

Picture Book Saturday (20)

In the Sea
By David Elliott, illustrated by Holly Meade
Published 2012 by Candlewick Press
Apparently, Elliott and Meade have written two other titles that are very similar to this one (I think I have seen one of the other ones before but haven't read it). This book gives simple poetry about various animals in the sea with colorful, evocative illustrations. I like the book and I think it will really appeal to kids but I wish there was some information at the end with facts about the animals shown throughout the book.

Jazz Age Josephine
By Jonah Winter, illustrated by Marjorie Priceman
Published 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers
So, I'm not entirely sure why this book is classified as an easy picture book instead of a biography (at least at one of the libraries I work at). It tells the story of Josephine Baker, noted African-American Jazz Age performer. I didn't really enjoy this book. The text is written in this odd style where some lines or parts of lines are repeated and it just didn't work for me. Additionally, the illustrations are not my cup of tea either. I think this book will appeal to some kids, but I don't know if it will reach its audience by being kept with the picture books instead of the biographies.

All About Grandmas
By Roni Schotter, illustrated by Janice Nadeau
Published 2012 by Dial
This is a delightful little book celebrating the special-ness that is the grandmother and her relationship with the grandchild. At the front of the book, the author includes a list of names for grandmother in a variety of languages, which I think is a very cute idea. Through rhyming text, we learn all about what grandmothers do, what they look like, what they wear, and how we should treat them. I think this would be great in a storytime about families, or just a wonderful book to share with your grandchild.

Question Boy Meets Little Miss Know-It-All
By Peter Catalanotto
Published 2012 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books
This is an interesting little book: Question Boy goes through his day, asking every superhero he meets (like Garbage Man and Oilman) questions. They are all so overwhelmed by his consistent questioning that they run away. But then, Question Boy meets his match - Little Miss Know-It-All. She spouts off facts in an endless stream before Question Boy can get a question in. How will their showdown end? I think this is a good book for parents of inquisitive preschoolers but I'm not sure if kids will really enjoy it. An interesting title.

No comments:

Post a Comment