Monday, June 11, 2012

Review: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
By Morgan Matson, read by Suzy Jackson
Published 2011 by Brilliance Audio

Amy Curry is having a really tough time dealing with life since her father died. Now, her mother is expecting her to drive the family car across the country from California to Connecticut, their new home. Only Amy doesn't drive anymore. So good ole Mom has enlisted family friend Roger Sullivan to make the trip with her. But almost as soon as they begin, their trip takes an unexpected detour...

I just have to start this review by saying: damn you, contemporary YA. Damn you. Let me explain. I completely loved this book. I was practically giddy while reading it. This is a beautifully written story of damaged characters finding a way to heal by choosing their own paths, perhaps for the first time in their lives. I was completely charmed by the characters and in love with the idea of this road trip (I've travelled a lot via car). So, I had no problems with this book initially. And, let me clarify, I still don't have a problem with this book. But the reason I am attempting to damn it is because of the romance. Here's the thing: I think there is a severe lack of books that deal in cross-sex relationships among teenagers that aren't romantic in nature, especially where both kids are attracted to members of the opposite sex. I was excited because I thought, perhaps, this book could be one of those rare teenage novels that has two opposite sex main characters who don't end up dating, whose friendship is enough to propel the story. I mean, it's not like I didn't expect the romance to happen, so I'm not damning the book for including it. What makes me mad about it is that the book is so utterly charming and the characters so completely lovable that I couldn't help myself from rooting for the romance to happen. Don't get me wrong - none of this is bad. This book is every bit a success and I truly loved it. But I'm frustrated with the evasive presence of romance and this author's ability to make me crave the predictable outcome. Still, I really enjoyed this book. It was a pleasure to listen to and I will definitely be recommending it.

No comments:

Post a Comment