Monday, July 16, 2012

Review: The Eternal Ones

The Eternal Ones (Eternal Ones, book 1)
By Kirsten Miller, read by Emma Galvin
Published 2010 by Penguin Audio

Haven Moore has started having the visions again - the ones of a handsome young man named Ethan, a life in New York, and a fiery tragedy. But most people in her small Southern town just believe she's crazy. Haven knows there is more to the story, so she sets out for New York and the famous Iain Morrow, who looks uncannily like the Ethan of her visions. What she finds there will rock her world forever.

Okay, so I keep a list of books I need to review for the blog (because I don't usually have time to blog about a book as soon as I finish it). I keep them in the order that I read them, which makes it easier for me to manage my Goodreads account. When I saw that this title was next on the list for review, my first thought was, "Ugh, I really don't want to write that review." So I put it off for a little while. But I need to get it done eventually, so perhaps I should just suck it up and get it over with. I don't want to write this review because this book made me mad. And I'm frustrated about this because, at first, I was enjoying it. This book starts off interestingly enough - I appreciated the small town vibe that Miller successfully creates and the premise is different enough to hold my interest (reincarnation, eternal love, etc.). But all too soon, this book goes off the rails. There isn't a nice way to say this but Haven is the dumbest protagonist I have read in recent history. She may be the dumbest protagonist I've ever read; I just can't remember all of them. But I would go so far as to say that she is worse than Bella Swan - and that, my friends, is saying something. Haven has no self-confidence and shrinks in the presence of anyone she perceives to have more authority than her - which is basically everyone. I suppose I could understand this, given her background and all, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. However, the real character trait that I couldn't forgive here is her incredible, incredible (yes, it bears repeating) naivete. Haven seems to function under the premise that "whoever I'm talking to is the most trustworthy person I know" because, seriously, she will believe everything anyone tells her as long as she is talking to them at that moment in time. And if the next person she talks to says something that contradicts the information she has just received from the last person she talked to, she will readily believe the new information must be true, with no questions or qualms. SERIOUSLY? SERIOUSLY?!?! Not only does that not make any sense (she is not characterized as having any mental or emotional impairment), but it kinda makes me hate her. That being said, I stuck with the book until the bitter end, if only to see how much more ridiculous it could get. I feel curious enough to pick up the next book, but I'm certainly not in any rush (and, honestly, may never actually get around to it). I don't recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment