Thursday, July 26, 2012

Review: Such Wicked Intent

Such Wicked Intent (The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, book 2)
By Kenneth Oppel
Expected publication August 21, 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

WARNING: There may be spoilers for book one. If you'd like to read my review of the first novel, go here.

The Frankenstein house is under a dark cloud. With the failing of the Elixir of Life and the subsequent death of Konrad, Victor, Elizabeth and Henry find themselves at a loss. But soon, the three friends discover something most unusual - a passage to the spirit world. And Konrad is there. Victor's quest to restore his brother to life knows no limits and when things take a dark turn, can he be made to stop in time?

I was absolutely thrilled to be able to get an ARC for this at Midwinter - the first book was my introduction to Oppel and I was completely blown away. The second book in his new series quickly became one of my most anticipated books of 2012. I don't know what I can say about this book that I didn't say about the first - it is just as wonderful and captivating. Victor is perhaps one of the most interesting character studies in YA literature and I think reading about him may make the Frankenstein story more accessible for today's teens (or maybe I'm just the only one who didn't like it in high school). Oppel is a master at keeping readers on their toes; many times while reading I thought I knew what direction the story would take, only to be proven wrong by Oppel's clever twisting of the plot. He just writes so smartly and lovely; I feel a need to go back and read everything he's ever written. Once again, I think the book really illuminates and expands the Frankenstein story, by delving deeper into Victor's background and the extraordinary circumstances that will eventually lead to the Frankenstein we know. Oppel also weaves in foreshadowing of events to come that the astute reader will enjoy stumbling upon. I love not just the idea of the spirit world as presented here, but also what it means to each character - for Victor, Henry, and Elizabeth all regard it differently. And, Oppel threw in a wonderful twist at the end that I thought fit the story perfectly. Again, I find myself eagerly anticipating the next book!

Thanks to the publisher for an advance reader's copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment