Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Review: Legends of Zita the Spacegirl

Legends of Zita the Spacegirl
By Ben Hatke
Expected publication September 4, 2012 by First Second

After her planet-saving adventures, Zita is an intergalatic hero! But she just wants to find her way home. Easier said than done, especially with the arrival of a robot doppelganger and a turn of events that has Zita a wanted criminal!

I, like many others, was absolutely charmed with Zita the Spacegirl - actually, I fell a little bit in love. Zita is spunky and spirited, fun, funny, and brave. So, I, like many others, eagerly awaited the next installment of Zita's (mis)adventures in space. When I mentioned this to my boss, she kindly let me borrow the signed copy she'd received at TLA and I read it that same night. If I loved Zita before, I don't think there's a bigger word to describe my feelings for her now. This book is every bit as charming and lovely as the first - perhaps even more so. I felt more connected and involved in Zita's adventures and really enjoyed seeing how she handled herself after her first clumsy space escapade. Zita is maturing and gaining space smarts (similar to street smarts). I loved the greater emotional depth I felt with the characters in this story, most likely a result of this being a sequel and me already being attached to the characters. Basically, I have nothing negative to say about this book and just want to squeal over how lovely and sweet it is. Zita is a fantastic role model for girls - she is courageous and innovative and deeply loyal. I can't wait for even more adventures with Zita!

No comments:

Post a Comment