Monday, September 17, 2012

Bulk Review: Junior Graphic Novels

Since I find it much more difficult to have a lot to say about graphic novels than I do with picture books, I decided to post my short reviews of my recent graphic reads all together.

Binky the Space Cat and Binky to the Rescue
By Ashley Spires
Published 2009 and 2010 by Kids Can Press
I've been wanting to pick this up for a while because I have really loved Spires' picture books and this graphic novel series looked adorable. Binky is no ordinary house cat; he has just completed his space cat training and now much do his duties to keep his humans safe from alien invaders. Binky is charming and delightful and kids are sure to appreciate Spires' sense of humor.




Korgi (Book 1)
By Christian Slade
Published 2007 by Top Shelf Productions
I picked this up on a whim when I was pulling a different graphic novel off the shelf and decided to give it a try. This wordless story is easy to read but compelling and almost immediately after finishing the first, I wanted to read the rest of them. The illustrations are beautiful and tell the story very effectively. Plus, CORGIS!





Gabby and Gator
By James Burks
Published 2010 by Yen Press
I could not resist this cover - a little girl with a gator in her wagon. And I could not resist falling in love with this story once I started. A misunderstood girl and a misunderstood (and hungry) gator find true companionship and understanding, with Burks' characteristic humor. I absolutely adored this and think kids would love it too.


Giants Beware!
By Jorge Aguirre and Rafael Rosado
Published 2012 by First Second
This is actually one of the rare graphic novels that I had heard buzz about and was eagerly anticipating, so when I spotted it on our shelves one day, I grabbed it and read immediately! Claudette is our spirited heroine, who wants nothing more than to be the greatest giant slayer in the kingdom, just like her father. But her village is safe - not a giant in sight. Will that stop intrepid young Claudette? Of course not! With the help of her pastry chef brother and princess-in-training friend, Claudette will find her adventure if it's the last thing she does! This book was so much fun; I absolutely loved all the characters and the humor is spot on. Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment