Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review: My Swordhand is Singing

My Swordhand is Singing
By Marcus Sedgwick
Published 2007 by Wendy Lamb Books

Sedgwick is a fairly prolific author - he had a title on the Printz shortlist earlier this year. Usually, I try to read award winners and honor books, but reading the blurb for Sedgwick's title provoked no interest in me. However, this was another author on my radar for the upcoming ALA conference, so I combed through his backlist and picked this title. I'm glad I did. This is a very well-done and interesting book (I'm starting to think I should get a thesaurus - I feel like I use the word "interesting" in every review). Sedgwick provides a new take on the vampire myth, which I really enjoyed. It's no secret I'm a fan of vampires and the supernatural and Sedgwick definitely gives new life to the vampire tale. This is a short and haunting novel - very atmospheric. I'm definitely going to read the companion novel and perhaps even branch out to his other titles.



No comments:

Post a Comment