Saturday, August 17, 2013

Picture Book Saturday


Becoming Babe Ruth
By Matt Tavares
Published 2013 by Candlewick Press
I'm a sucker for baseball books and I think it's safe to say that I'll read anything put out by Matt Tavares. His books are beautiful. They tell interesting stories in relatively simple ways with lovely pictures and nearly every one of them has made me cry. I loved hearing more about Babe Ruth and I know this will be a popular book with young baseball fans.

Nelson Mandela
By Kadir Nelson
Published 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books
Kadir Nelson will never cease to amaze me. I mean, seriously, that man has all the talent. From the incredibly striking cover image of Mandela, one can immediately tell that this is going to be a special book. And it truly is. Nelson tells the story of Mandela's life, beginning with his childhood and even how he got his name. I think this book is an absolute gem and am definitely hoping to see a shiny Caldecott sticker on it come January.



and then it's spring
By Julie Fogliano, illustrated by Erin E. Stead
Published 2012 by Roaring Brook Press
I somehow missed this title last year, so when I spotted it at work recently, I hastily grabbed it up and read it. I love, love, love this. It's simple and beautiful and SPRING. This book feels hopeful and exciting and just lovely. It made me smile nearly the whole time I was reading. It is so simple and yet so wonderful. I think this would be a perfect book to share in storytime. Love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment