Saturday, August 31, 2013

Picture Book Saturday



Flora and the Flamingo
By Molly Idle
Published 2013 by Chronicle Books
Early reviews of this book were excellent, so I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of our library copy. I read it as soon as it arrived in the children's department. This wordless picture book is so sweet and adorable. I'm in love with it. Actually, maybe this is weird, but I'm tempted to buy a copy for my boyfriend - flamingos are his favorite birds and this book depicts them so gracefully and beautifully. I'm not sure he'd appreciate it the way I'd want him to, though. Regardless, I am terrified of birds and I found this book enchanting. I love the simple and elegant ballet between Flora and the flamingo. I love the idea of sharing this book with a young dancer. I ADORE the illustrations - Idle's style is absolutely gorgeous and jealousy-inducing. Definitely check this out!

I Dare You Not to Yawn
By Helene Boudreau, illustrated by Serge Bloch
Published 2013 by Candlewick Press
Just looking at the cover of this book made me yawn, so I miserably failed the titular challenge. However, I love the idea of this book and I think it's a great read for a pajama or bedtime storytime. While I'm not as crazy about the illustration style, I think they work well enough with the story. I think this book has a ton of kid appeal and I enjoyed it. I love finding new picture books that interact with their readers - perfect for storytimes.

Twenty-Six Princesses: An Alphabet Story
By Dave Horowitz
Published 2008 by Putnam Juvenile
Honestly, I think I've read this one before but don't remember ever reviewing it, so why not? Princesses plus the alphabet? What's not to love? The addition of Dave Horowitz almost seems like a bonus. I enjoy his books because they are funny in all the right ways. To me, it seems like he strikes the right balance between amusing the kids and their parents. This is a good one for introducing some new vocabulary and, of course, for practicing letter shapes and sounds. Sure to be a favorite with princess lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment