Saturday, November 30, 2013

Picture Book Saturday


Who's on First?
By Bud Abbott and Lou Costello, illustrated by John Martz
Published 2013 by Quirk Books
A confession: I've never seen the classic comedy sketch in its entirety. However, I've seen pieces of it and, of course, am familiar with it, so I was looking forward to checking out this picture book version of it. I think it works extremely well. The layout of the book makes it easy to follow along the sketch, perhaps even more easily than just hearing it. The illustrations are bright, bold, and eye-catching and the dialogue bubbles will really appeal to kids. There is a note at the end of the book that explains the origins of the skit. I think this will be a popular book with young readers.

Ping Pong Pig
By Caroline Jayne Church
Published 2008 by Holiday House
I picked this one up because of the adorable pig on the cover, who appears to be flying through the air. Once I started reading, I realized this was the same author as Little Apple Goat, a picture book I really enjoyed. I liked this one, too, though not quite as much as the story of the goat. In this book, Ping Pong Pig really wants to fly and he spends his time trying to achieve his dream in any way possible. I love the illustrations - they are so cute. Kids will find this book fun.


Because I'm Your Dad
By Ahmet Zappa, illustrated by Dan Santat
Published 2013 by Disney-Hyperion
I literally cannot resist a Dan Santat illustrated book. This one was especially impossible to resist because of the adorable monsters on the cover. I was a bit hesitant about the book with its celebrity author but I was pleasantly surprised by it. It doesn't stray far from the formula of parent-child relationship picture books: in this case, basically a laundry list of all the things the dad and child will do together or the dad will do for the child. It's very sweet and I can see it finding a place on my own children's bookshelves (someday, far in the future, of course). The illustrations are what really make this for me - Santat is an illustrator I always seek out.

No comments:

Post a Comment