Monday, November 18, 2013

Review: Bake Sale


Bake Sale
By Sara Varon
Published 2011 by First Second

Cupcake has a pretty sweet life - pun intended. He loves his job in the bakery and he loves spending time with his best friend, Eggplant. Things have been just a little bit off lately, though, and Cupcake is determined to figure out the solution.

I read this towards the end of summer, as I was desperately trying to finish my summer reading log. I picked it up because it's one of the current Bluebonnet books, plus it would be a quick read. Plus, I love graphic novels. I really, really did not love this one, however.

I think this is the first book by Varon that I've read and I just did not like it. My coworker was very surprised; she had just finished reading it and thought it was fun and sweet. I, on the other hand, found the whole thing too strange and creepy to enjoy. Even the premise of a cupcake that runs a bakery making cupcakes was just too weird for me. Honestly, it seemed a bit macabre.

Additionally, I'm not sure I get the point of this story. Yes, I understand that it's meant to say something a bit profound about friendship and not taking things for granted and whatnot, but it all came out a little weird and jumbly for me.

Ultimately, compared to the other Bluebonnet books I've read so far this year, this one falls far short of being award-worthy, in my opinion. Just did not work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment