Saturday, June 28, 2014

Picture Book Saturday



Little Frog's Tadpole Trouble
By Tatyana Feeney
Published 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers
A new take on the "becoming an older sibling" tale, Little Frog learns he's about to get nine baby brothers and sisters. Unfortunately, they are really boring and take up all of Mommy and Daddy's time. With patience, Little Frog will learn how great it is to be part of a big family. It's cute for the content, but I probably wouldn't use it in storytime. The illustrations are fun, though.


Love Monster
By Rachel Bright
Published 2012 by HarperCollins Children's Books
This monster is the odd one out where he's from, so he goes off in search of his perfect love, the one who was made for him. It's a cute story, particularly nice for Valentine's Day. I think the illustrations are the best part - the monster just looks so squishable and lovable! I mean, look at that cover - just look at him!



Herman and Rosie
By Gus Gordon
Published 2013 by Roaring Brook Press
This is a strange little book, one that I think will probably appeal to adults more than kids. I mean, yes, it's got the fun animals instead of people, but their interests are quite unusual, things that I think not many kids will be interested in. They are lonely with their unusual interests, though of course there will be a happy ending. I'm sure kids will find a sweet read simply because the two ultimately find each other, but some of the details will be lost on them I think, even starting with the book's cover, which evokes an LP.

No comments:

Post a Comment