Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Review: The Head of the Saint



The Head of the Saint
By Socorro Acioli, translated by Daniel Hahn
Published March 8, 2016 by Delacorte Press
Reviewed from e-ARC

Samuel is on a journey to fulfill his mother's dying wishes. She was all he had in this world and now she's gone. His journey leads him to a small dying town with a decapitated statue of Saint Anthony. While seeking refuge in the fallen head, Samuel begins hearing voices. Is it a gift from the saint? Or a curse?

I downloaded this galley because the plot description sounded so unique. I actually got around to reading it mostly because it's short (honesty is the best policy!).

It's definitely unique and certainly a quick read. I'm glad I picked it up. I liked the exploration of religion throughout the story and I thought the way all the threads came together in the end was really well-done. I didn't love Samuel as a character and, really, he reads much older than he is supposed to be. It's a pretty simple story but it is utterly captivating throughout and extremely well-written. It's lovely to read. I really don't have much more to say. There is just something about this that is quite stunning, something that will stay with you after you finish reading. I definitely recommend this one.

Thanks to the publisher for a digital advance reader's copy, provided via Edelweiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment