Saturday, December 1, 2012

Picture Book Saturday (43)

Aaaaaahhhhh! Time seems to be getting away from me lately. I missed a week on picture book Saturday. I seem to have become significantly busier these days, so my posting schedule might not stay as consistent as it has been the last few months. I'm trying to keep up with everything and not disrupt the blog schedule; we'll see how it goes!

Brave Squish Rabbit
By Katherine Battersby
Published 2012 by Viking Juvenile
We finally have new books again! Okay, I'm no longer doing storytime because I got promoted to Official Queen of the Tweens in our library, but I still love looking at new picture books. Unfortunately, our city does not allow us year-round ordering and we have been between budget years for the last couple of months (trust me, you don't want to get me started on this issue). But I digress - our new books have finally started arriving. My boss actually pulled this one out to show to me explicitly - because Squish Rabbit is afraid of chickens (I may have mentioned my fear of birds before). I thought this was a really adorable story and I think storytime kiddos would really enjoy it.

Chico the Brave
By Dave Horowitz
Published 2012 by Nancy Paulsen Books
I like Horowitz's books because he seems to have a delightful, off-the-wall sense of humor. Chico is a little chick who is actually afraid of everything, so his father concocts a story about the Golden Chicken, a superhero who will come down from the mountain and take on all the bad guys. Chico decides to seek advice from this Golden Chicken and, of course, hijinks ensue. A cute little story.

What's Looking at You, Kid?
By J. Patrick Lewis, illustrated by Renee Graef
Published 2012 by Sleeping Bear Press
This was a delightful little book that I'm really glad I picked up. In simple verse, Lewis describes a variety of animals that are familiar to young readers and encourages them to guess their names. The large fonts and gentle illustration style make this book incredibly appealing for babies and toddlers and I think this would be a big hit in storytime for the younger crowd. I love how sweet the illustrations are; they match the simplicity of the rhymes perfectly.

The Really, Really, Really Big Dinosaur
By Richard Byrne
Published 2012 by Oxford University Press
This is a pretty cute little story about a small dinosaur who is being picked on by a bigger dinosaur. The little dinosaur isn't scared, though, because he knows something the bigger dinosaur doesn't: he is friends with a really, really, really big dinosaur and that dinosaur won't be happy when he hears his friend is being bullied. Illustrated in a simple style to match the simple story, this will definitely be enjoyed by kids. Observant ones will be able to figure out the "gotcha!" early on.

No comments:

Post a Comment