Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Review: Fragments


Fragments (Partials, book two)
By Dan Wells
Published 2013 by Balzer + Bray

WARNING: There may be spoilers ahead. To read my review of book one, go here.

Kira has found the cure for RM - but it's not as simple as that. The Humans and Partials seem to once again be on the verge of war - and if it comes to that, it could be the end of both races forever. The only hope it for Kira to discover the truth about RM and ParaGen - and perhaps herself as well.

I really, really loved the first book, Partials. Fragments was one of my most anticipated books of this year, and, thankfully, I didn't have to wait terribly long into the year before I had it in my greedy little paws. When it first arrived, I was a bit intimidated - at 500+ pages, this was clearly going to be something else. Would it be able to hold up for over 500 pages?

Yes. Dan Wells is relentless. Everything I said in my review of book one holds true here as well. The pacing is pitch perfect - I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I needed to know what happened next. There are so many cliffhangers throughout the book - it's a thrill ride. What I like even better about this installment is that there are multiple storylines happening at once and we get the chance to go back and forth between them. For some chapters, we are with Kira as she makes the (possibly insane) journey to the middle of the country, searching for answers about ParaGen, Nandita, her father, and her own identity. For other chapters, we are with Marcus, as he struggles to find Kira and Nandita, and searches for answers on his own while attempting to find a common ground for the humans and Partials.

Just as in the first book, though this is heavy on the action and adventure, there are quieter moments here as well. And once again, the things that Kira is struggling with are things that are universal among teenagers - who am I really? Where do I fit in? How do I decide what's right? It's seamless how Wells mixes these moments in with the action - it feels natural and easy to begin to wonder the same things about your own life.

I loved the new bits about this world that Wells reveals here in book two - crazy, unbelievable things, but so fascinating. As with most second books in series, some questions are answered and some new ones arise. Needless to say, I am once again eagerly anticipating the next book. I can't wait to see how everything will come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment