Monday, June 17, 2013

Review: Prodigy


Prodigy (Legend, book two)
By Marie Lu
Published 2013 by Putnam Juvenile

WARNING: There may be spoilers for book one. To read my review of Legend, go here.

Day and June are on the run when something unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son takes his place. Quickly, the two must decide which side they are on; will they fight for the Patriots or for the Republic? And can they make those decisions together?

It's funny: I just re-read my review of book one and I didn't seem to be as positive about it as I remembered. Then again, my memory is terrible, so this really shouldn't be too surprising. Also, it seems that my feelings for a lot of books grow warmer the more time passes after I finish them. It appears to be the case for this series, as I was hotly anticipating the release of book two and put my name on the waiting list as soon as it showed up in the library catalog.

Here's what I like about this series: I love the alternating chapters and viewpoints. I love getting the chance to see things from Day's perspective and from June's. I love that the voices are distinct, so I'm never confused about whose perspective I'm reading. I love that Lu has created two inherently opposed characters and brought them to places they never could have imagined. I love that the roles of Day and June - in their relationships with each other and other people, as well as in their lives overall - are continually shifting and changing. I love that they are so confused and vulnerable - to me, it makes them incredibly realistic and teenager-y.

I also love the world Lu has created - this future is scary and also incredibly believable. I love the layers of lies that Lu's government has created for its citizens and I love that the uncovering of these layers leads to more and more confusion and outrage. I love the complexity of some parts and the simplicity of others. I love the pacing - this book is full of action. It grabs you by the lapels and doesn't let go. It's relentless. It makes me want to recommend it to every teen who wants an adventure story (not that I need to, because they all already know about it).

And, I admit, I love the romance. Though there were times that it all felt a bit too unrealistic and perfect while I was reading Prodigy, I love that these two broken people have come together and are trying to heal.

I am on pins and needles for book three!

No comments:

Post a Comment