Saturday, February 8, 2014

Picture Book Saturday


Hello My Name is Ruby
By Philip C. Stead
Published 2013 by Roaring Brook Press
I am not really a big fan of birds but I gave this one a shot because it's Stead (also he seems to have written a few books about birds or maybe I'm remembering wrong?). It is a cute enough read and a relatively simple story, but I think he's done better work. I didn't really feel terribly interested in finishing it, which is saying something for a picture book. I'd recommend one of his other titles instead.



Sea Monster and the Bossy Fish
By Kate Messner, illustrated by Andy Rash
Published 2013 by Chronicle Books
This is a pretty cute book about dealing with bullies. Ernest the sea monster is excited about the new fish starting in his class - until he meets him. See, the new fish is kinda bossy and not very nice. Bullying is a very hot button issue right now, so we've seen a lot of books dealing with this topic. This one is a pretty good entry - it doesn't feel too heavy-handed and it's told in a way that will be easy for younger kids to understand. The illustrations are a lot of fun as well.

Chamelia and the New Kid in Class
By Ethan Long
Published 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Chamelia likes being the center of attention, so imagine how she feels when a new kid comes to class and begins to steal her spotlight. I think the illustrations in this one are really eye-catching, but I didn't enjoy the story. Chamelia was a bit too bratty for me to empathize with her feelings. I suppose it has an all right ending, as Chamelia learns that she should celebrate other people's good qualities instead of trying to outdo them, but I still didn't particularly like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment