Monday, February 17, 2014

Review: Fates


Fates
By Lanie Bross
Published 2014 by Delacorte Press

Corinthe is a fallen Fate. She would do anything to return to her happy and peaceful life in Pyralis Terra. Now, her mentor, Miranda, has told her she has only one final task before she can return him. But the task soon begins to feel impossible to Corinthe. She is supposed to kill a boy, Lucas - but how can she when she might be falling in love with him?

I requested an e-galley of this book because I think fate is a really interesting concept and the Fates fascinate me as well. So I figured I'd give this book a shot. I'm kind of sorry that I did. This book is just not good. I think maybe the most positive thing I can say about it is that at least I finished it and at least it's a pretty quick read.

I had a hard time with this book. Mainly, I found it boring. I didn't care about any of the characters, even the two main characters. I don't remember ever finding out why Corinthe was exiled and I guess I don't really care. But, without that knowledge (maybe it's in there and I just don't remember because everything about this was so forgettable), it's really difficult to care about how badly Corinthe wants to go home and what she's willing to do. The rules of the world Bross has created don't make a ton of sense to me and seem overly complex for no reason. Additionally, it seems that she's created some of the rules just so that she can break them to make a more "compelling" story.

At least partly because I didn't care about the characters but also partly because it was just plain ridiculous, the romance really didn't work here, either. They barely speak to each other before they realize how deeply in love with each other they are - enough so that they will break all those aforementioned rules to try to help and save each other and stay together. The ending felt particularly overwhelmed with melodrama and I may have strained my eyes from rolling them so much while reading it. Adding to my disappointment is the knowledge that this is the first book in a series, one which I definitely won't be reading.

Thanks to the publisher for a digital advance reader's copy, provided via Edelweiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment