Sunday, February 23, 2014

Program: Daycare storytime

For my second daycare storytime, what better theme than monsters? It was the month of October, after all. Here's what we did!

Book: Mostly Monsterly by Tammi Sauer, illustrated by Scott Magoon - this was a cute start to storytime. It tells of a little girl monster who doesn't quite fit in with the other monsters at her school. I'm not sure that the kids really got all the subtleties of it, but they loved the gross cards at the end.

Song: "Monster Boogie" by Laurie Berkner - I encouraged the kids to show me how they thought a monster would dance as we boogied around the room to this song.

Book: Creepy Carrots! By Aaron Reynolds, illustrated by Peter Brown - this is one of my favorite books, so I had to share it. It's great for being slightly scary but also a lot of fun. I love, love, love the illustrations in this book. The kids really liked this one.

Song: "Monster Mash" by Boris Pickett - what monster storytime would be complete without the "Monster Mash?" We did more dancing like monsters, and then I encouraged the kids to show me how they thought their parents or teachers would dance, which had some pretty hilarious results.

Book: Monster Needs a Costume by Paul Czajak, illustrated by Wendy Grieb - this is one of my new favorites because Monster is just so stinking cute! The kids and I talked about what costumes they would wear for Halloween and which costume they thought Monster should have chosen.

Craft: Monster masks - I used the craft I found from this blog to make monster masks with the kids. They loved putting lots of eyeballs on their monsters!

And that's what we did! What are your favorite monster books and activities?

No comments:

Post a Comment