Sunday, August 24, 2014

Program: Daycare Storytime


I have two daycare storytimes to share with you today, both from the spring (just in time for kicking things off this fall!). Here's what we did!

Penguins!
Opening: We Clap and Sing Hello - this is our standard storytime opening.
Penguin Facts - I wanted to provide some real information about penguins in our storytime, so I asked the kids what they knew about penguins. The answers were about what you'd expect (they are black and white, they eat fish, they live in cold places, etc.), so I shared some new information with them (kinds of penguins, where they live, etc.).
Song: Freeze Dance - get it? FREEZE dance?!
Book: One Cool Friend by Toni Buzzeo, illustrated by David Small - this is a fun book, but I'm not sure the kids really "got" the twist at the end. They loved Elliot's adventures as he tries to care for his new penguin.
Song: If You're a Penguin and You Know It - we flapped our wings, stomped our feet, and waddled around!
Penguin Facts - for more real life information, I played a short clip of a penguin call, figuring that the kids might not know what a penguin actually sounds like.
Book: Penguin and Pinecone by Salina Yoon - I mean, how could I not? I want to take Penguin home!
Song: Penguin Shuffle - more waddling around!
Craft - we made this little guy!

Sweets!
Opening: We Clap and Sing Hello
Book: If You Give a Dog a Donut by Laura Numeroff, illustrated by Felicia Bond - I could have chosen almost any Numeroff book. I went with this one because we got to show off our ninja moves and because I wanted to have a wide variety of sweets represented in our storytime.
Song: Happy by Pharrell - I don't think there was a storytime presenter this spring that wasn't using this song in some capacity. The kids went absolutely nuts for it and I loved seeing their happy dances!
Book/Dramatic Presentation: Should I Share My Ice Cream? by Mo Willems - I have done this before in storytime and it was a huge hit. I show the scanned pictures of the book on the projector screen and do a dramatic interpretation of the story. It's a good one for this because it's mainly just Gerald and he shows quite the range of emotions in this story.
Song: Sticky Bubblegum - since gum has enough sugar to be considered a sweet, I resurrected this storytime favorite and we unstuck the gum from the various parts of our body.
Song: Popcorn by the Barenaked Ladies - I know popcorn isn't really a sweet, but it is food and I was trying to stick with the theme. Plus, who doesn't want to pop around like popcorn in the pan?
Book: Little Mouse and the Big Cupcake by Thomas Taylor, illustrated by Jill Barton - oh, they really liked this one!
Craft - we decorated our own paper cupcakes and I had the kids tell me what flavor they made!

Obviously, this is only a small sample of the books and songs available for these themes. What are your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment