Monday, December 19, 2011

Review: Mockingjay

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, book 3)
By Suzanne Collins
Published 2010 by Scholastic Press

WARNING: This review will contain spoilers for the first two books as well as this one.

If anyone ever doubted that Katniss was a true survivor, they can question it no longer. She has survived not one, but two, Hunger Games in an unprecedented turn of events. Now, safe among the rebuilt underground of District 13, Katniss starts a new life as the Mockingjay, the symbol of the districts rebellion against the Capitol. But is she really safe?

I thought this was a fitting end to the series. Collins manages to keep the story fresh with more plot twists. I liked the new twist with Peeta even though it made me sad at the same time. I liked the end, too. I thought it was good that Katniss and Peeta ended up together - which makes me even more frustrated about the whole love triangle. I think it was clear that this was a forgone conclusion so the ridiculousness of the love triangle is even more apparent. I still love all the secondary characters - even with the radical change in his personality brought on by the Capitol. I think Coin is a great foil for Snow and I really enjoyed all the new characters introduced as well. I definitely became attached to the characters throughout the series. You know, except Katniss. Because she still bugs the crap out of me. I don't have much to say about the third one that I didn't already say about the first two. All the bad things about the first two are still present in the third. And the things I liked are the same as well. Overall, I really enjoyed the series. I think Collins has a great talent for writing and I'm glad I finally read the series. Now I'll be able to understand more of the "it's the next Hunger Games hype" that is pervasive nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment