Thursday, December 22, 2011

Review: What to Do About Alice?

What to Do About Alice?: How Alice Roosevelt Broke the Rules, Charmed the World, and Drove Her Father Teddy Crazy!
By Barbara Kerley, illustrated by Edwin Fotheringham
Published 2008 by Scholastic Press

It's no secret that I've been very much into non-fiction picture books as of late. I was pulling holds for the library the other day and came across this title. While it initially struck me as quite odd, it was actually a charming little read. I don't know anything about Alice Roosevelt (or I didn't before I read this book) so she seemed like an unusual choice for a picture book biography. But, for me, part of the charm of picture book biographies is that they can easily make nearly any subject an interesting one. This is a very basic sketch of Alice's life which she certainly made the most of. The illustrations match Alice's spunky personality perfectly. A very well-done short biography.

No comments:

Post a Comment