Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Year in Review: Part 2

More books!

Top middle grade novels:
 - Toys Come Home by Emily Jenkins
One of the few books I read but did not review for the blog. If you haven't read this story, you are seriously depriving yourself of one of the most adorable series for middle-graders out there. Heart-warming and enchanting.

 - Liesl & Po by Lauren Oliver
Lovely and heartbreaking, this novel completely won me over. Oliver has written a universal tale of love and grief that will capture any reader.

 - Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George
One of the books that I was initially hesitant about, I am so glad I picked this up. I am absolutely in love with this book and now must read any and everything by Jessica Day George. Immediately.

 - The Black Heart Crypt by Chris Grabenstein
Another book I read and did not previously review, this is the latest addition to one of my favorite series. Haunted mysteries that are genuinely spooky but also hilarious and with emotional depth? I look forward to every one.

  - Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick
If you haven't figured it out yet, Selznick is a treasure to this generation of young readers. Another beautiful and innovative book that I want to read again and again.

  - The Dragon's Tooth by N.D. Wilson
While it's a little bit crazy and hard to follow at times, this is clearly one of the most original new series to emerge in recent years. I will be interested to see where it goes from here.

  - Bridge to Neverland by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
Yet another book I haven't review here, this is the latest (and hopefully last) entry in the Peter and the Starcatchers series. This series never disappoints and I enjoyed every second of reading this newest book.

  - Wildwood by Colin Meloy
Imaginative and with a main character that you really want to root for, this sophisticated fantasy lived up to my expectations. Eager for the next in the series.

Honorable Mentions:

  - The Wide Awake Princess by E.D. Baker
I love Baker for her charming and adorable fairy-tale retellings and her last is no exception. Innocent and romantic and fast-paced, her books always make me smile.

 - Hereville by Barry Deutsch
A very unique and funny graphic novel that I hope, hope, hope will become a series!


 - The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley
I'm pretty sure this is considered a classic but I just discovered it. It is disarming and lovely, a simple but touching tale with a very original premise.

No comments:

Post a Comment