Saturday, November 1, 2014

Picture Book Saturday



Weasels
By Elys Dolan
Published 2014 by Candlewick Press
This book is hilarious - weasels plotting world dominance. For me, the illustrations are what makes the book - they are full of details, perfect for exploring with a little one. They include many clever jokes and tell an even bigger story than the text alone. This one is definitely a lot of fun and I think it has lots of kid appeal. Definitely recommended!



Going Places
By Peter and Paul Reynolds
Published 2014 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers
I cannot resist a Peter Reynolds book - it is a fact. But there is good reason for my lack of resistance - they are usually fantastic. This book is no exception. What I love about his books are that they have a message but they don't feel didactic - the message flows naturally from the story being told. And the stories are always interesting, ones that are relevant to the lives of children. This book shows that we all have worthwhile ideas and contributions and perhaps it can be a good thing to color outside the lines. The illustrations are lovely, as always. A definite treat.

Slinky Malinki Catflaps
By Lynley Dodd
Published 2000 by Puffin Books
This book tells the story of a cat who slips through the catflap and into the nightlife. I'd have to try this out with a child before giving a proper rating or review, but I didn't really care for it with my initial read. I think it was supposed to be amusing with a catchy rhythm but it just didn't work that way for me. Also, do cats really act like this at night or is it just a myth that's been perpetuated over the years? Might work better for children than for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment