Saturday, November 8, 2014

Picture Book Saturday



The Short Giraffe
By Neil Flory and Mark Cleary
Published 2013 by Allen & Unwin
Perhaps what I love about this book is simply the giraffe's silly smile - it makes him that much more endearing. This is a simple story of a giraffe who wants to be in the picture with his significantly taller friends. He tries many different things to make himself tall enough to appear in the shot, but nothing seems to be quite right. It takes an even smaller friend to suggest a solution that actually works for everyone. This is a nice introduction to cooperation and problem-solving for kids. The illustrations are amusing and goofy but definitely appealing. A sweet story.

A Gift for Mama
By Linda Ravin Lodding, illustrated by Allison Jay
Published 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers
Oskar sets out to find the perfect gift for his mama. Throughout his day, he trades each new perfect gift for something even more perfect. What gift will he finally end up giving to his mama? This is a pretty simply but cute story. I love Jay's illustrations - I love the way they look fresh and worn at the same time. I think they suit this story particularly well. Not my favorite, but a cute enough tale.



The Mermaid and the Shoe
By K.G. Campbell
Published 2014 by Kids Can Press
I admit I was a bit hesitant about this book - I know many people love Campbell's style but the ethereal feel and colors are just not my particular cup of tea. However, this is a lovely story of an inquisitive young mermaid who discovers a shoe and begins a quest to discern the purpose of the shoe. It's really quite a charming story and, admittedly, the illustration style works really well for this underwater tale. This book definitely won me over and is sure to charm readers for some time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment