Saturday, April 25, 2015

Picture Book Saturday



Rex Wrecks It!
By Ben Clanton
Published 2014 by Candlewick Press
I've enjoyed Clanton's books before and I almost never resist a dinosaur on the cover, so obviously I read this one when it arrived at our library. It's a story that's been done before - Rex the dinosaur always wrecks whatever his friends are playing with and they're sick of it - but it's very simple and still a cute story. In the end, the friends figure out how to work together so that everyone is happy. The simplicity of the text here makes it perfect for a toddler time and they'll love the repetition of the titular phrase.

Shh! We Have a Plan
By Chris Haughton
Published 2014 by Walker
I saw this one getting some attention for an award, so I was eager to see it for myself when it finally arrived at our library. Four friends want to catch a bird and they come up with a variety of plans to do so. Of course, none of their plans work out until the littlest friend takes a shot - and then success! Quite honestly, I expected more from this book. Don't get me wrong - it's fun and I love the use of the dark blues and blacks throughout the illustrations. But I wasn't overwhelmingly impressed with the story. That being said, I'm pretty sure kids will really like this one for its silliness.

Little Owl's Day
By Divya Srinivasan
Published 2014 by Viking Books for Young Readers
This is a companion book to Little Owl's Night and I am absolutely enchanted by Srinivasan's illustrations, so I was delighted to see it arrive. Little Owl one day wakes up early and discovers that the forest he knows so well during the night is completely different in daylight. So, he sets off to explore this new version of the forest. It's a simple story, but I like the variety of animals Owl encounters and, as I said, I love the illustrations. I think this would be great in storytime.


Just Right for Two
By Tracey Corderoy, illustrated by Rosalind Beardshaw
Published 2014 by Nosy Crow
Dog keeps all his special things in a suitcase and it's just right. But when Mouse comes along, Dog discovers something he's been missing. Another story that's been done about a million times before, but still just as sweet. Dog and Mouse become friends by sharing their special things, which is a cute lesson for young ones. The illustrations are very sweet and I think this would be a good fit with other stories about friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment