Sunday, December 28, 2014

Year in Review, Part One

My favorite time of year - looking back at what I've read and reminding myself of the excellent books I discovered!

Librarian of Snark's Favorite Picture Books of 2014

(in alphabetical order)


The Adventures of Beekle by Dan Santat

Bear Sees Colors by Karma Wilson, illustrated by Jane Chapman

Big Bad Bubble by Adam Rubin, illustrated by Daniel Salieri

Flora and the Penguin by Molly Idle

Here Comes the Easter Cat by Deborah Underwood, illustrated by Claudia Rueda

A Library Book for Bear by Bonny Becker, illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton

The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires

Naked! by Michael Ian Black, illustrated by Debbie Ridpath Ohi

Sparky! by Jenny Offill, illustrated by Chris Appelhans

The World According to Musk Ox by Erin Cabatingan, illustrated by Matthew Myers

Notable Non-fiction Picture Books

Edward Hopper Paints His World by Robert Burleigh, illustrated by Wendell Minor

Hello, I'm Johnny Cash by G. Neri, illustrated by A.G. Ford

The Right Word: Roget and His Thesaurus by Jennifer Fisher Bryant, illustrated by Melissa Sweet

Star Stuff: Carl Sagan and the Mysteries of the Cosmos by Stephanie Roth Sisson


This year, I actually kept my own stats instead of relying solely on Goodreads, particularly since I haven't been inputting picture books as I read them over on that site. So, according to my stats, I read 119 picture books, about 30 less than last year. I'm a bit surprised by this number - I thought for sure I was slacking in my picture book reading. I haven't kept my Picture Book Saturday posts as consistent this year, but check those out for more of what I read.

I don't really have any predictions for Caldecott - in general, I feel that's my weakest award as I don't know much about art and illustration. For the books listed above, I think nearly all the non-fiction titles have a better shot at Caldecott than the fiction picture books that were my favorites. I'd love to see that happen!

What were your favorites this year? Let me know in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment